Basics For Newbie Naturalistas


Hey kinks and coils 💜

So you probably big chopped a week ago and you are in a bind and don't know what to do.

You hear new terms like deep conditioner and so and protein treatments and you just confused , trust me I have been there when I was relaxed the only person who took care of my hair was my hairdresser and I didn't deep condition and etc.

And when I came back to natural 5 years ago I had to learn a lot.

And I know you looking at the title and thinking "how can someone be a newbie naturalista ? Because we were all natural once" I wrote the title to make it easier for someone who just big chopped and doesn't know how to incorporate healthy hair practices in their regimen.


  •  Trim Your Hair 


I made this the first point because it probably is the most important before cleansing your hair. Do not be like me and delay your trims because you want to keep your length. I do have a post here and basically its about how I keep my length after trimming and no it doesn't include not trimming. Trim your hair when you have to. There are some people who trim their hair twice a year but you need to figure out what works for you.

  • Pre Poo


A pre poo is a pre shampoo treatment applied to the hair , I suggest your apply more to your ends because they are the oldest parts , you leave in the oils for a period of time and then you cleanse it out whether with a shampoo or clay. When you prepoo it is more beneficial with an oil ( coconut oil , olive oil , avocado , grape seed oil and etc ) . Prepoo protects the hair from harsh shampoo processes , it restores the moisture and softens the hair.

  •  Cleanse Your Hair


Cleansing your hair is probably the most important step whether you are 1a or 4c. As we all know hair grows from the scalp a dirty scalp impedes the growth. You can use a clay to wash your hair or a shampoo to wash your hair. If you have run out of both or you don't like shampoos and clays you can do a co-wash (washing your hair with a conditioner) . I don't recommend co washing your hair all the time if you use heavg products like butters and etc because all that gunk won't come out. Some of it but not all of it.

  •  Conditioner



Find a great and cheap conditioner that is full of nutrients and all that good stuff. A conditioner with great slip is great for detangling your hair because it "melts" your coils and kinks and the tangles just go away. Sounds corny but conditioners with great slip are amazing!. 

  •  Deep Condition


Deep conditioning is so beneficial. When I was loc'd I didn't really deep condition but with loose natural hair I have to deep condition because if I don't I will see my hair all over my pillow the next morning and it will be dry and brittle no matter how many times I use the LCO method it will still be dry . Deep conditon on clean hair. And PLEASE don't deep condition for a century if the bottle says for 30 minutes then do it for 30 minutes because trust me you don't want moisture overload on your hair.

  •  Protein Treatments


Protein treatments help to strengthen our hair temporarily. It fills in the gaps that are along the cuticle. I love using protein treatments because my strands are FINE and I need a little extra help to strengthen them. I don't advise using protein treatments every week because too much protein is not good for our hair it will end up being dry brittle. I advise you use proteins with the word "hydrolyzed" , "hydrolyzed wheat protein"  or "hydrolzed keratin". This means that the protein has been broken down to be small enough to fit to your cuticle and penetrate your cortex.

  •  Moisturize


I used to suffer with this step and thank God I found useful information about this because believe or not I used to use oils to "moisturize". . .I use the LCO  method and I am retaining moisture by adding an extra step and using grease. Basically what I do is I spritzed my hair with AVJ /water and then I useuse shea butter as a substitute for my leave-in conditioner and then I apply an oil (olive oil) to seal it all in. If It's winter I use Castor Oil because It is thicker and I don't want the moisture in my hair to be depleted throughout the day.

  •  Portect Your Hair At Night



You can use the best moisturizer on the planet and seal with an oil made by angels but if you don't protect your hair at night by wearing a silk scarf or satin bonnet then you won't reap the benefits of your moisturizer and sealant. Sleep on a silk pillow case if you dont have a silk pillow case then you should cover your hair with a silk scarf or satin bonnet because a cotton pillow case / head scarves will dry your hair out. 

  •  Protective Styling

Naptural85.com

I hate protective styling!. 
However it is so beneficial for our hair , make sure when you are going to be a protective naturalista that you take care of your hair under your protective styles. There are some easy protective styles that you can do. Click here.

  •  A D D I T I O N A L  S T E P S

  1. Essential Oils


Essential oils are great to use in your journey but they are not necessary because you can use 3 basic oils ( olive oil , castor oil or coconut oil / avocado oil) and still have healthy hair. 
In your journey you have to do what suits your hair needs. I use my favourite essential oils in my products to give them a little boost and cater to my hair needs. 

2. Rinses

I love using tea rinses because they have amazing benefits. Green tea rinses help reduce shedding and my results were gobsmacking. 

Oil Rinses

I personally haven't tried this because I feel like it is a waste of oils and so I just prefer to prepoo so that I don't lose much moisture in my hair when it is wash day.

3.  Hot Oil Treatments



Hot oil treatments are applied to the hair in order to retain moisture . Hot oil treatments are similar to pre poos because you use oils and cover your hair with a plastic cap. It is up to you if you want to do hot oil treatments before or after washing your hair.

Let's start doing things that actually make sense to our natural hair .  If it sounds like BS then it probably is.


I wasn't planning to make this post so long.

Wear That Crown With Pride 👑
Karabo xx





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time For A Change 🍃

The Urge To Color My Natural Hair...

How I Trim My Natural Hair

Hello?

Update : My Health And Confidence Journey + Going Vegan